processing

Memorial Park

The park was opened by the Prime Minister, Sir Sidney Holland on the 4th December 1955 as a district memorial in memory of those men who served this country in the 1939–45 wars. The park area was swamp and rough farmland lying between Mangahoe Street and Mangahoe stream which runs through the park. Nearby land was donated by a local family, making the park up to it's present day size. All the formation work in the park was done by hand and the first trees and shrubs were planted in 1954. A sunken cross lies in the east end of the park.It is engraved with the names of the men from Te Awamutu and district who fell in the 2nd World War, Korean, Malaysian and Vietnam conflicts. The park features a children's playground, a stone wall mural, a pergola covered in climbing roses donated by a local family and a weeping fountain.

Profile Description

“Te Awamutu and District War Memorial Park, built in proud and grateful memory of those men who served this country in the 1939-45 war.”

Notes of particular interest in the Park:-

Climbing Roses – on the Pergola donated by the Marx family in the rememberance of a member of their family who died in the Second World War.

Stone Wall Mural – designed by Parawera School, Teacher Yvonne Rust, together with Barbara Packer, who cast the mural, a design was formed depicting the coming together of Maori and Pakeha. The plaque was first moulded with clay and a copy taken with plaster of paris, mixed with concrete to give the final product. Once made, the mural was sent to the Park in three pieces to be set in the present wall by Mr Webber and Mr Smart.

Weeping Fountain – was constructed by Mr Smart, formed by building rocks up to the end of a vertical central pipe with a bowl for the head of the fountain being moulded by pouring concrete into a prepared dirt hole in the ground roughly for the desired shape. The moulded concrete was then hoisted up by crane to complete this fountain.

Lake and Island – previously a boggy patch of land. The bed was deepened and an island built up with rocks in the centre. The lake edge concreted by hand to stabgilise it and then pumped to fill the lake. A fountain constructed between the island and lake edge. Goldfish originally put into the lake, flourished but after introduction of ducks, the fish population dwindled to a few carp.

Dawon Place – dedicated to the late Marion Dawson, whose bequest allowed this area of the Park to be formed in 1967, after realignment of the Mangahoe Stream in 1962. Designed and developed by Mr Smart, this included picnic shelter, plants, footbridge and paths at the western end of Memorial Park near the Netball Courts. Apart from the bequest of $2,000, Mrs Dawson had given much in time and plant material to the Borough over many years.

War Memorial Cross – is in the shape of an excavated Cross in the ground and lined with rock and marble slabs. Engraved on the marble walls are the names of the men from Te Awamutu and District who were killled in the Second World War. A line of “Peace” roses runs down the centre.

The Park contains many plants and trees given by citizens and organisations of Te Awamutu.

An ideal place to stop and enjoy a picnic and for children to enjoy the playground.