Te Awamutu Co-Op Dairy Company (NZCDC)
In the mid 1800's there was a creamery built in Arawata Street were Homeward is now. This was followed by the cheese and bacon factory in Te Rahu Road. A Historic Places Trust plaque marks the spot. Land west of the railway line and facing Alexandra Street, (the site of Hydes Brewery) was bought and the new factory built in October 1925 with the butter processing starting the following month. The name "Lotus" was registered and the yellow flower insignia was seen on the butter, vehicles and buildings. This factory was the first to use tankers. Expansion was continuous, huge storage tanks and casein vats were installed. The Lotus Trading Co. founded in 1944 was incredibly successful and had to be rebuilt 30 years later to house the tonnes of farmers supplies and general grocery items. The Company amalgamated with two other Waikato Co–ops becoming the Waikato Dairy Company.